Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Bonding is not just for dentures anymore

So I spent the day hanging out with Jack and Katherine. We got a lesson in bathing, changing diapers, dressing, etc. from the very friendly and helpful nurses, and I got to wear a very stylish pink gown in the nursery (it's a rule, and it is fabulous!)



Then, later in the afternoon, Katherine rested and Jack and I read a book about 4 journalists who died when their helicopter was shot down over Laos during the ill-fated 1971 South Vietnam invasion of southern Laos to cut off the flow of men and materiel on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. I figure it's never too early to teach him about the harsh realities of the world around him.

He didn't seem too interested and slept through it.


This morning, while walking through the Emporium to catch a cab to the hospital, I noticed that they were setting up for a fashion show. Dozens of waifish western and Thai women were milling around the runway and seating area to register as models (I think).

I couldn't help but think that a) I absolutely must be back in time to see the show, if only for the cultural understanding it could bring, and b) it was the opening, grand or otherwise, of lingerie that got Katherine and me into this whole baby situation in the first place.


Alas, I think I missed the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home