Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Where are we moving again?

Katherine sent me this:

On October 3, the Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
unanimously voted to change the BGN standard
transliteration of the spelling of the Ukrainian capital
to 'Kyiv'. This decision affects the whole USG, although
'Kiev' remains the BGN conventional spelling for this
city.


So, as I understand it, if I am transliterating from cyrillic, I must write Kyiv. If I'm just writing it, I write Kiev. What if I am just writing it, but in my head I am thinking about cyrillic? So confusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home