Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Crowds? What crowds?

Angkor Wat.


In the norwest corner of Angkor Thom, a small deserted temple called Preah Pililay. It was a small, peaceful part of Angkor Thom, devoid of tourists, and next door to a working temple. The temple had a long line of Cambodians waiting for a special blessing from one of the monks. While he said the blessing, he threw buckets of water on the blessees and their motorbikes. So you get blessed, and get your motorbike washed (and, I assume, blessed). It's win-win.


Pre Rup, just south of a large former reservoir called the Eastern Baray. The reservoir has long since dried, and has been replaced by rice paddies.


Takeo. One of my favorites. It is a six level temple that for some reason is given a pass by most tourists. A nice breeze on the top was my reward for tackling all the stairs. The breeze, and the temple guard who tried to sell me his badge.


I was ambivalent about going to Siem Reap. Afterall, we had already done our little Khmer tour in July. Katherine said I should go. I'm glad she was persistent. It is an incredible place, and should be on the itinerary of anyone visiting SE Asia. Based on the number of visitors, the above pictures notwithstanding, I'd say it already is. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home