Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Monday, April 18, 2005

The flowing robes, the grace, the baldness...striking!



Here's the IT guy named Vout, then named Mong during his week as a monk, and now named Vout again at work this morning. All very confusing. But he was a bit dismayed to find out that we had to get new ID pictures taken today because he doesn't currently have eyebrows.

I thought the cane and the purse was a nice touch....actually, the golden bag is for friends and relatives (and sucker foreigners) to give donations that go to the temple for building and maintenance. I think I gave more than enough, but it was so damn hot that day I basically reached in my pocket and gave all the money I had so I could run home and get into AC.

That and my love for the temple and its upkeep, of course.

By the way, I asked Vout how the week went, and he said "I was hungry," because as I think I said before, monks are not allowed to eat after noon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home