Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Wherever you go....there you are

So I think I have cabin fever. We've been in Vientiane for about five weeks now, and I'm ready to get out. It's not that I feel confined by any means...the cultural differences I face each day provide for a lifetime of new experiences. But physically, we haven't moved much.

Sure, the first weekend we were here we went about 40 minutes North of Vientiane to a restaurant for the day, but really, that's it. Since then, we've been confined to the greater Vientiane metropolitan area.

But today, I actually got to get out of the city limits (again), as I went to the bridge that connected Thailand with Laos. It's about 30 KM from Vientiane, and it was time to deliver a Pii Maii gift to the guys and gals that control the border, and introduce myself while I was at it. Something that should have been done a few weeks ago, but I didn't have time until today (not that I had time today, but whatever).

Anyway, on the drive I caught some glimpses of Lao rural life: People working in rice fields, water buffalo wallowing in ponds, the Beer Lao factory....you know, the really important cultural aspects of the Vientiane valley.

But on the drive out to the bridge, I realized that for all the time we've been in Laos (39 days...I'm not counting, I actually had to figure it out in my head; no easy task) we really haven't seen much at all. Sure, we know where to go to get a good meal, a good massage, and light bulbs, but we don't know much about what goes on outside of the capital.

Anyway, it made me think that having guests here is the best excuse for getting out of the city and going to see the rest of the country as tourists as well. So get off your asses (apologies to the parents and all for the language) and get some plans to come visit, if you haven’t already done so.

Badminton Quest Update

My quest to become the best badminton player of all time continues unabated. I feel like I’ve got my own Andy Kaufman-esque quest going on (you know, with the wrestling) as the vast majority of my opponents thus far have been women. But hey, Lao women have some serious Badminton skills. I guess I’m waiting around until my very own Jerry Lawler (look it up if you have to) comes to smack me down. But I SHALL PERSEVERE! I vow that my badminton skills will continue to impress. Case in point: I defeated the Embassy women’s championship doubles team on Thursday, ON MY OWN. And the fact that one of the women was wearing a skirt and flip flops had NOTHING to do with it. If anyone tells you different they are lying…and jealous of my skills.

I’m sorry, but when I talk about my badminton quest I tend to type in bold, capital letters, because that's the type of badminton competitor I am.

phil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home