Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Canned chicken broth?

So many of you may be wondering why the unemployed half of this couple never seems to add to the blog. Well, I'm not sure really, but I'm going to try to change that, although I can't promise I'll be as witty as my smart-ass husband.

On to news on the home front. Our first shipment of stuff arrived yesterday afternoon and Vone and I worked until 6pm, starting to get things unpacked and organized. She had lots of questions about my kitchen gadgets, including the apple slicer, nut cracker and pick, champagne stopper, mandolin, and the vacu-vin wine sealer. I told her my mother loved to buy me things for the kitchen.

Today we finished putting things away, and now this big house feels a little bit more like our home.

We are getting ready for our Easter lunch, scheduled for Sunday, and I'm trying to make some of our favorite American dishes. One of the recipes requires chicken broth, so I asked Vone where I could find canned chicken broth.

First of all, the word for broth is not in my Lao dictionary, so I tried to describe broth in Lao as a sort of chicken soup without vegetables or meat. She was very confused. So, like usual, I repeated my complete description again, hoping she'd get it the second time. That didn't work either.

So I finally came up with "chicken water", at which point, Vone looked at me and said "broth?" in English. That accomplished, I asked where I could buy chicken broth in a can. And again, she looked at me as if I was crazy, and before I knew it, she had frozen chicken bones and water in a pot boiling for my chicken stock. And although she didn't use any carrots or celery or onions, it might just be the best tasting chicken broth I've ever had.

k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home