Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Talk about FRESH fish

I went to the market with our housekeeper Vone (who name rhymes with phone, not lawn, as my smart husband mentioned previously) and had an interesting experience. The markets here are just as I imagined -- rows of fruit and vegetable vendors, and the rows of rows of (vegetarians beware) unfrigerated meat -- this section required a strong and empty stomach. Today we ventured to the fish section which isn't nearly as hard to take as the meat section since all the fish are happily swimming around in big tubs of water. Happy, of course, until I point to the fish I want to for dinner, at which point the fish is quickly picked up, wacked with a mallet, scaled and degutted all in a matter of 45 seconds. I must admit, I looked away when I knew the guy was done for...

But that was hours ago and now, it's time for dinner! -- KDN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home