Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Because this just ain't gonna cut it...


I'm heading to Siem Reap tomorrow for a few days at the Angkor Wat complex.

I was going to give Angkor a pass altogether in our two years here and go to Khammouane Province to explore for a few days. A friend who works there let me know that the roads I planned to take to get to really rural areas are either a) completely rutted and washed out or b) still rice fields. Add to that the typhoon that hit the Vietnamese coast and continued here to dump rain for about 4 days and Khammouane wasn't looking too good this weekend.

So I'm going to spend two days in Cambodia. Flight schedules limit my time there, but it also means I'll be back Sunday for the annual boat races in Vientiane and the 2nd annual Beer Lao brewery tour on Monday (organized by the talented and pregnant Katherine).

I'll get to Khammouane for some exploring before we leave here. Katherine promised that I could go over a 3 day weekend in January or February. I'lm going to hold her to that when we have a two or three-month old baby.

Plus, I'll head to eastern Khammouane and eastern Savannakhet in late October for a UXO trip.

So, Siem Reap it is.

Katherine just reminded me that I have worked for over 20 days straight. It's time for a break. Thankfully, we start a 4 day weekend tomorrow.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home