Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Kids, don't do drugs

This morning I represented the Embassy at the opening of a four-day workshop for national and provincial drug control agencies, treatment centers, and other various and sundry people associated with the effort to control opium and methamphetamine production and consumption in Laos.

It meant a 10 minute opening address to the gathered group, who were all on the edge of their seats to see what kind of wisdom I was going to spread.


I was a late addition to the event, as the Ambassador was out of town, and the narcotics affairs officer is still sick in Bangkok, so I did not address the crowd in Lao. A bit scared of the subject matter I guess, as my vocabulary does not currently include words like 'amphetamine-type substances' and 'alternative crop development'. As such, I had an FSN interpret for me, which results in a bit of a stilted speech.


Look at me, all front and center with my finery.

 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home