Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Friday, July 21, 2006

The night continues

Xeng; A part-time employee, full-time student at the Lao American College, and one of the coolest cats in Laos. The guy exudes cool, and he doesn't even know it.


Dinner included a dish that, in local parlance, is called Nak Hong Tai Din, or Underground Singer. In the US, a band or singer that is considered 'underground' would be someone working their way up, trying to break out, only the cool kids know about them, exchanging concert dates on myspace or some other online venue I am not aware of.

In Laos, it means fried crickets.

Really, really not tasty. Okay, the taste wasn't so bad. But the texture (granted, I picked a big guy to be sure) and the filling left something to be desired. I guess I'm just not cut out to be a bug-eater. I gave it my all, though.

 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home