Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Home sweet home

I'm back. It seems like just yesterday I was frolicking around New York, brunching, spending quality time at the dive bar, buying tennis shoes. But it wasn't yesterday, it was two days ago. And a big thank you to the NY subway people for postponing their strike a few days so as not to inconvenience me.

So after about 24 hours of flight time, including 3 quality hours in the Tokyo transit lounge, I arrived in BKK last night and got to my hotel room at about 12:45 am, and was drifting off to sleep about 2:30 am when I was rudely interrupted by a fight next door which I figured out was probably a disagreement over money, or something, between a working girl and her client. Yelling and screaming, banging around, etc. Called security, then peeked outside to make sure noone was being killed right outside my room, which is what it started to sound like. Anyway, I'm glad I looked outside, because I got to see a purse thrown out into the hallway, followed by a woman (thrown out into the hallway). Security showed up and I retired to my room, excited about my 5:45 am wake up call.

And now, here I am, comfortably ensconced in our little house here in Vientiane. It's 8:00 pm, and I'm staying up until 9:00 or 10:00 if I can make it. So very tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home