Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

soothing those aching muscles

So I'm using a combination of heat and vodka to ease my calf pain. That's the remedy I remember from high school sports anyway.

Katherine found some sort of adhesive pad that automatically warms itself once removed from the package. Seems we got it free with a purchase of Robitussin or some such thing.

Either way, anything that warms up on its own has to be controlled by the devil, or at least evil spirits. But I've used good spirits to offset them, indulging in a 1/3 glass of vanilla vodka and coke. Not too much; that would be over indulgent.

And now here I am, my lovely wife and her parents in bed, and me about to sit on the deck and make a few phone calls. Have I told you how much we like our deck?

And here's my daily story (which really isn't daily at all, is it?).

A Lao-American Citizen (AMCIT from now on) came to my window today. He launched into a long story (I was going to use the word Soliloquy, but am not sure how to spell it, and god knows my mom and Wendy would be all over me for my atrosious speling (see how I did that?) and I couldn't have that) about him being an AMCIT and me being an AMCIT, and happy new years all around, etc. and how he wishes I have a long life, and how he wishes he has a long life, and how I need to visit him in Kansas when I return to the US.

Then he got down to the rub. His daughter was sitting nearby, and he wanted her to get a visa to visit him. And, he had an envelope for me.

Now, I've been around long enough to know what envelopes passed to consular employees generally mean. The guy needs something, and he's trying to pay for my services. As usual, I got my indignation in high gear, ready to launch into the general talk about how that is not how things are done and I don't appreciate the attempt and I'll be telling my superiors, etc. etc. etc.

But then I opended up the envelope.

And found a photo of the very AMCIT standing before me.

No money...just a photo.

Of the AMCIT and his wife. It was one of those Olan Mills type photos, very posed, perhaps for a church-member directory or some such thing.

I'm not sure exactly why the AMCIT thought that his long soliloquy (fine, damn me if I've spelled it incorrectly, I can take it) would be aided by his gift of a picture of himself, but there you have it.

It was a nice photo though. Good blue background. And you all know how I'm a sucker for a photo with a blue background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home