Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005


On our way back to Nong Khiaw after going North, we passed by Muang Ngoi Kao again and had a beer. On our way to the boat, our boat owner asked if we would mind giving them a ride to Nong Khiaw, about an hour away. So I said, sure, but I was selling them tickets, not our boat owners, as we had hired the boat for a tidy sum, thus making it 'ours'. So it's usually 15,000 kip for the trip per person, so I gave them a deal. 10,000 kip per person. Now that's a 33% discount. Not bad. They took the deal. As we were walking down to the boat, my generosity got the best of me, and I lowered the price to 5,000 kip per. The boat lady collected the money, then gave it to me. 20,000 kip ($2) for the 4. But I noticed she was also holding 20K, meaning she had charged them 10K per, but kept 50% for herself. So I took that from her and gave it back to them. Then about 20 minutes later, I gave the rest back to them too. They were 4 Hmong brothers going to visit their parents. I think they appreciated the free ride, even if I did make them pay at first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home