Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Friday, October 28, 2005

funny story about these guys. As we were leaving a village North of Muang Ngoi Kao and heading back to our boat, these guys were sitting on the riverbank with their bags waiting to flag down a passing boat going downriver to another town. I told them if they were still around when we came back (we were going up river, then heading back later), we'd let them hitch a ride.

They said fine, then the guy on the right excitedly asked if I would take his picture. I said sure, at which point he undid his belt and pants, tucked in his untucked shirt, redid up his pants and belt, theatrically smoothed his shirt and pants front, took off his hat and smoothed his hair. All to great effect, as you can see. His sidekick did much the same thing, but less theatrically.

So I took their picture, at which point Mr. Vain says "please bring a picture back to me," which, given that he didn't know I'd be returning to the area in 3 weeks, seemed quite a request to me. But since I was returning, I said sure, which made him very happy. There were smiles, handshakes a wais (the hands together, short bow thing) all around.

Okay, not such a funny story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home