Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Hello friends and Family,

I thought I’d let you know what I’m up to give you all a break from Phil’s ranting and ravings, pleas for golf tees (wood ones only, please), and re-enactment of Jak’s fall (one of the more horrifying things I’ve witnessed here in Laos).

Last week I started a part time job at the US Embassy working as the Community Liaison Office Coordinator which is part Camp counselor, part human resource. I’ll be working with the Washington office reporting on living conditions, schools, and resources here in Laos, welcome new American families to the embassy, coordinating Embassy parties and events, assisting spouses of American embassy employees in finding work, etc. It should be interesting, and, since I’m only working Thursdays and Fridays, the job won’t effect my tennis games, aerobics classes, or WIG events!

I know Phil related a little bit of my trip to London to hang with my mates Amanda and Blair, but I’ll add some too. First off, I’m so distressed and disturbed about the recent bombings. Not only is the event terrible but now I imagine people in London are stressed and exhausted every day. But luckily, Amanda and Blair are very cool and can handle this. Plus, they got much better things to concentrate on: the birth of their first child due August 2!

The trip was a wonderful and it was so terrific to see the Jacobson’s in their lovely, lovely new home. We did lots of walking and wandering in the neighborhood. Highlights: a picnic lunch in Kensington garden, dinner out in Notting Hill at a fantastic Indian restaurant (my mouth is watering thinking about it), watching British birthing shows, lunch at a local pub, the knitting section of John Lewis, lunch at the British museum (oh yes, and the museum too), the knitting section of John Lewis (I mention this twice because I really liked it), dinner at my cousin Lucas’ house with his boys Mason, Emile, Avery and lovely wife Phyllis, and seeing Cob and Ford. All and all a wonderful trip and I’m already saving up for my next trip to meet Baby Jacobson!

Back in Laos, life is good! Next week will be busy with the ASEAN meeting but we will get to party with our friends Michael and Walter (from Phil’s training class) when it is all over on Friday night. Beer Lao on the Mekong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home