Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Adventures in language (and telling people apart)

Katherine hired a cook/maid yesterday and she makes a really good curry (that's all I know thus far).

And this morning, as I was walking to my car that picks me up until our car arrives, there was a man on a bike outside our gate. So he's standing outside our gate and Katherine says "this is the guy that tried to fix our phone yesterday" and says to him "our phone isn't working again" and he says "oh" and I say "what are you going to do to fix our phone" and he doesn't say much.

Then, because I'm very smart, I say "did you know our phone was broken again?" because we hadn't put in a work order or anything, and he said "no".

Well, he looked very confused, and I was very confused, and Katherine was very confused, until thankfully my driver helpfully says that he thinks the guy is the gardener, at which point Katherine remembers that he is indeed the man she hired to be our gardener, and NOT the man who came yesterday to fix our phone.

Needless to say, our gardener probably now thinks we are insane, and that we REALLY care about our phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home