Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Friday, January 20, 2006

From The Wife

Life is busy here in Vientiane -- I've got badmitton tournaments to organize, happy hours to schedule, tea parties to host, AND, I've got parents to entertain!

But I've found sometime today to give an update on our trip to Siem Reap. My mom, Alan and I had a great time seeing just a few of the many temples in Siem Reap. It really is an amazing place with so much to see and a lot of distance to cover. Our two days were full -- but we also made naps and good food a priority too.

Mom and Alan were troppers the first day and after walking around Angkor Thom, losing our driver for an hour, they were game to climb to the top another temple (forgive me I don't remember the name) to see Angkor Wat in the distance and the sun set. First there was a steep hill, then a huge set of steep, narrow stairs and Mom did this all in high heel sandals! Who says' being stubborn is a bad thing? The sunset was a bit disappointing but I don't think Alan noticed or cared since he was too busy talking to these cute young french women. That night we dined at this small and delicious restaurant called Angkor Kitchen, we had a curry, water spinach, fish and, of course the very tradition Camodian side dish: french fries!

On Saturday we were up early and headed to the market first thing to get some new sensible sandals for Mom. With that settled, we headed out with our driver and guide. The guide did a great job showing us lots of different and fascinating temples. But honestly, I don't think Mom, Alan or I could name them all if we were quizzed. They were all beautiful and fascinating but after a while, things start to blend together. I had to look up the names in the guide book when I posted the photos below. But we all loved Bantrey Srei (or some such name) for the incredibly well preserved stone carvings. And Ta Phrom was another favorite -- famous for theall the the trees in, around and on top of the temple. It is also famous because parts of Tomb Raider were filmed here.

There -- That's my summary of our trip to Angkor Wat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home