Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Do you want this monkey?


So I went to Savannakhet for a quick 24 hour work trip with a local employee and a driver. As we arrived in town about sundown, we pulled up and stopped on the side of the road. I looked out and there was a guy sitting in a chair washing a monkey. Literally, monkey in his lap, being washed with a towel. I said, "look at that, a guy is washing a monkey" and the Lao employee said "he's my relative." Turns out, we were there to see the guy washing the monkey to ask him where we should stay. He said the monkey just ended up at his place one day, having lost his owner. Anyway, he offered me the monkey, but I figured that would be something I'd have to talk over with Katherine first. It would have been my chance to have an actual monkey butler though. In retrospect, I can't believe I turned it down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home