Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Fresh Meat

So we've had two new officers arrive at post this week, so we've been busy entertaining them. Katherine and I were in language training with both of them (and their wives) so it's been good to reconnect.

Tonight was a night out with the consular staff and Terry (one of the new officers) who will be working part time in the section. We went to the Mekong Breeze, the same restaurant that Katherine and I went to our first night here, and the place I got my famous hot towel bathroom massage. I knew enough to request to not get a massage first thing before I tried to go to the bathroom this time.

And, with the recent rains (and China letting some water through their many dams) the river is up quite a bit, so some pretty big boats (okay, not big, but bigger than a longtail boat) were plying the river, which is cool to watch go by as you are enjoying some Lao food and drink.

Tomorrow we're around...morning squash for me, afternoon massage, then a night of culture at the home of some friend of Katherine's. I think it's a piano concert or something.

Sunday is more my speed. We're having some people over for pancakes, then heading south about 50 KM to another rocket festival. Should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home