Life on the Mekong and Other Rivers

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog, including strong statements in support of weinerdog-riding monkeys, are our own, and not those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. government.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Kam Lang Khi Lote Thip

"Riding Bikes"

So we got up this morning and finally got out on our bikes. We stopped by a furniture shop that makes some really great furniture out of Teak and Rosewood and picked out about 2 houses worth of stuff that we liked, but have yet to pull the trigger on any purchases. I think the first thing we'll get is a desk, then probably get some stuff custom made, although Katherine has her eyes on a very cool thing that I think is called a buffet or something.

Although I thought the coolest thing at the furniture store was the Myna bird in the cage outside that kept on saying "Maa Laew" (I'm here, or I've arrived already) and "Sa Baai Dee, Bo" (how are you). Now I want a Myna bird that speaks lao.

After that, we went for a long bike ride through the backstreets of Vientiane, then cut over to a road that fronts the Mekong for a few kilometers. It was great. Very hot, but good to get back on a bike. And I think we found a couple new riverside beer spots too, so we'll have to go back and explore those.

On our way back, we happened by a group of guys playing Ka Toe, or "rattan ball" as it is called in Laos. For those that don't know about it, or know about it called by another name, it's basically a cross between soccer and volleyball, and can be played with anywhere from 2 to 6 people on a team. It's volleyball, but the net is lower, and you can't use your hands (like soccer). It's very cool, but pretty damn hard to play it well.

Anyway, I stopped to watch, and Katherine continued on home. So I started talking with a few of the guys and they play there pretty much every evening during the week, and all day on the weekends, and invited me to join in. I demured, and figured I better get my own rattan ball to practice in the yard before I go and play with them. Here's a picture of what I'll look like the first time I play. Of course, I'll be the guy sitting in the chair with the blue pants, not the guy doing the bicycle kick.

Now it's raining about as hard as it rained at our wedding, if not harder. But at least it's a vertical rain, and we're in a structure (our house) that has 4 walls instead of 3, so we're dry (except for Katherine, who just got out of the shower). I guess it's a foretaste of what the rainy season will be like.

We're off to a reception to celebrate the graduation of a bunch of pediatrician's from around the country who come to Vientiane for a year of training with western doctors that volunteer for a year at a time to come over and teach. I hope it's under a roof of some sort, although it looks like the rain is lightening up already.

Katherine swears she is going to update everyone on her goings on soon. She's just so damn busy though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home